• Electronic (digital). This hygrometer is similar to a digital thermometer because it has a remote sensor and an LCD monitor. These hygrometers are often used not as separate equipment, but as part of a steam generator and steam control complex.
• Psychometric. The principle of operation for such a hygrometer is made up of drying thermometer and humidifying thermometer. The drier the air, the lower the temperature is displayed on a humidifying thermometer. Although such a hygrometer is relatively cheap, it is rather unpractical.
• Mechanical. This hygrometer is frequently used in private saunas. It is easy to use, shows accurate enough information, and is stylish.
Hygrometers are not sold just separately. They are also available in the so-called station sets. These sets include a thermometer, a hygrometer, and a clock. Such a thing is very convenient because you need to control the humidity and the temperature. The two are extremely related. Some saunas also use barometers – to control the pressure.
Hygrometer-Thermometer, Available Options
When buying a hygrometer-thermometer, the first thing to pay attention to is the body. The device should have a body which is hermetic, safe, and can resist high temperature and . humidity. The best option is one made out of wood. A low thermal conductivity prevents accidental combustion. All transparent structure elements must be made from heat-resistant glass. It is also important to consider the range of readings. Ideally, hygrometer should show from 0% to 100%. It is OK if a thermometer is showing a temperature that goes past 100 degrees Celsius. You should purchase only from a trusted manufacturer. The highest quality hygrometers-thermometers are available from Harvia, Sawo, Wendox, Moller, Nevsky Banshik, Tylo, Eos. A purchase from any of these will guarantee a good product, though a good quality hygrometer-thermometer could be made by a lesser-known company. A device made by a better manufacturer will cost more, though it will have more quality and longevity. Hygrometers-thermometers are also available in unusual wood carvings that come with a price. But then again, your sauna will look more stylish.
Setting the Hygrometer
The most common problem is when a hygrometer's indicator fails in mechanical devices. However, if you know how to set a hygrometer, you can solve the issue yourself. All you need is a kettle, a plastic bag, and a small cup. The procedure goes like this:
• First, place the hygrometer in the bag, and then put it in a cup.
• Make a small hole in the bag and direct the kettle's spout there (steam should reach the hygrometer).
• Make sure the bag is at a safe distance from the fire.
• You then start to boil the water and monitor the index.
• When the maximum level of humidity is reached, wait for three to four minutes and turn off the fire.
If the maximum reading reaches 95 to 99 degrees Celsius and remains that way, it means you need to make some changes on the back cover. A screwdriver should do the trick. Moreover, you can do it immediately while the hygrometer is in the bag. That way, the readings will be the most accurate.
Installation of a Hygrometer-Thermometer in a Sauna
Setting the readings of a hygrometer-thermometer is not enough. You need to make sure that it is at about 1.6 meters above ground. If possible, it should also be at least 1.5 meters away from the door, windows, and stove. Sources of heat and cold mislead the readings.
When installing a hygrometer-thermometer, you need to know the recommended levels of humidity for each type of sauna.
• A Russian sauna (steam): 75% to 85% humidity and 60 to 70 degrees Celsius.
• A Turkish sauna (hamam): 95% to 100% humidity and 70 to 100 degrees Celsius.
• A Finnish sauna (dry): 25% to 35% humidity and 100 to 110 degrees Celsius.
• A washroom: 90% to 100% humidity and 30 to 40 degrees Celsius.
• A lounge: 30% to 60% humidity and 20 to 25 degrees Celsius.
Ensuring these conditions will make everyone's stay in the sauna comfortable, enjoyable, and valuable.
It is difficult to describe the importance of setting a hygrometer-thermometer in a sauna. The human body cannot always tell whether the temperature and humidity are too high. It can cause health problems. Knowing how to install the device will bring nothing but advantages. Use instructions or information online and set up that perfect climate in your sauna.